JUDY KRAVIS

www.roadbooks.ie

Sunday, 20 September 2026

Maiden Voyage, Denton Welch, Revisited

'William Burroughs recommended Denton Welch to students, perhaps as material ready to be cut up, each phrase or word a bright shiny object that could find itself next to new neighbours and lose none of its patina.'

Denton Welch likes bright shiny objects, he's already a collector, at 17, bargaining in the chinese interior in the early nineteen-thirties for old porcelain and curios. Even on the boat going out, he began.

In the Red Sea I wrote a poem ....  I had just come on deck with my drawing-book and I saw them (the burnt-up mountains) crumbling in long lines to the sea. They were like piles of brown sugar, everlasting and fierce, sticking up out of the sea. .... I leant on the rail and scribbled in my drawing-book. What I wrote seemed almost perfect.

He has run away from school and is now on a boat to china to join his father. He's an aesthete, which is to say, a hidden soul delighting in the surface of things. Here he is drinking tea:

Each cup had a lid, and when I lifted mine I saw whole leaves swimming in the water like a school of fishes. They were pale green. Some had not yet uncurled. I watched them opening with pleasure, and I thought we missed a lot in England by not leaving the tea-leaves in our cups. To watch them swirling and drifting is like watching the smoke from a cigarette. And what is smoking in the dark?

Denton Welch was hit by a car while cycling in Surrey, and suffered a fractured spine. He died at thirty-three. Not sure what brought me to Maiden Voyage this time. Maybe the need to travel without travelling, in the Finnish way. 

No comments :

Post a Comment